Thursday, November 25, 2010

Kadala curry

This spicy and hearty gravy can be an accompaniment to many dishes like puttu, dosa, idiappam, nool puttu, upma and even chapiti.














Ingredients
Black chana 1 cup (washed well and soaked for 8-10 hours)
Onion 1 medium chopped
Tomato 1 medium chopped
Red chilli powder 2-3 tsp (to taste)
Saunf 1 tsp
Coriander powder 1 tsp
Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
Ginger - garlic paste 1/2 tsp (optional)
Grated coconut 2 tbsp
Oil 1 tbsp ( I use coconut oil for this dish)
Salt to taste
Mustard seeds, whole red chillies, curry leaves, oil for seasoning.

Method
  1. Cook the soaked black chana in 2-3 cups of water. I pressure cook it for 30-40 minutes.it should be soft and well cooked. Do not discard the water.
  2. Heat oil in a kadai. Add the saunf, onions and saute till transparent. Add tomatoes and all the masalas and coconut and fry for 5-6 mins. 
  3. Cool the above and grind to a fine paste using very little water.
  4. In the same kadai, heat oil and add seasonings. 
  5. Once done, add the cooked chana with the water, salt and the ground masala. Adjust salt and water. If the gravy appears too thin, crush some of the cooked dal well and mix in. (I personally do not like the dal to be crushed in, it makes the dish bland. Instead I would increase the ground paste.)
  6. Bring to a boil and simmer for a few mins after that.
Serve hot with the main dish of your choice.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't made puttu by myself yet.... Either I can give you what I know , send you some links that I find.. is that ok?

    ReplyDelete