Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Milagu kozhambu

My boys are both fond of pepper, and though I don't care much for this spice, I end up incorporating some or the other pepper based dish often in our meals. I must say that I am beginning to develop a taste for this very versatile and powerful spice.

And since I am still learning, I wanted to try this milagu kozhambu which I used to avoid while at home. Took inputs from Amma, my sister(who is younger to me but is a great cook), and my chitti.

And this is how I made it finally.

Ingredients
Spices
Peppercorns 3 tsp
Tur dal 3 tsp
Coriander seeds 1 tsp
Red chillies 3-4
Chana dal 1/2 tsp
Urad dal 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves handful, washed,fresh,dark green.

For the gravy
Lemon size tamarind extract
Pinch of asafoetida
Turmeric powder
Salt to taste

Method
1. Fry the spices in a little oil till done.
2. Fry the curry leaves till crisp.
3. Powder these to a soft powder.
4. Heat oil in a kadai, add mustard seeds, methi seeds, asafoetida.
5. When mustard is done, add the tamarind extract, salt, turmeric powder, ground powder and bring to boil.
6. It is done when it has thickened a bit.

This is very spicy and has to be had in little quantities. Best served with tur dal and ghee with hot rice.

Do it right and it can stay for a week in the fridge.

And yeah, I kinda liked the combination of parupu saadam with milagu kozhambu. :-)

Do try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment