Monday, September 27, 2010

Tapioca Mash (Kappa)

This is a native Kerala dish, which I encountered during my hostel days. It was so simple and tasty, the perfect snack with chai after coming back from college in the evening.

Tapioca(called kappa) is a tuber. I am sure there are ways to find out if the tapioca is fresh and good, but I am not aware. I got about half a foot of the tuber and was so happy, that I decided to cook it right away.

Ingredients
Tapioca 6 inches long, skinned, and chopped to big chunks. It should be white in colour.
Oil, mustard seeds, green chillies, curry leaves, turmeric powder for seasoning.
Salt to taste.

Method
  1. Cook the tapioca in a pressure cooker with some water. It takes longer than potatoes to cook. 
  2. Once cooked, mash it up well, keep the water aside.
  3. Heat oil in a kadai, add the seasoning. Add the cooked tapioca , salt and mix well. Add little water if its too dry. Its ready!
The regular combination is kappa with fish. I have no clue as to how that will be.
Another good option is to have it with chammandi(coconut-onion chutney).  I can tell you that this combo is just yumm....

Remember, kappa in itself is a little bland, so the chutney gives it the tang.

No comments:

Post a Comment